Last Sunday, 4 June, the focus of our Circuit Prayers was on Fairtrade. We are a Fairtrade Circuit and we have agreed to promote this policy wherever we can. As Rod Thorpe, our Circuit Fairtrade champion has made us aware, Fairtrade products cover most areas of the market and most of our needs can be met from these ethical sources. Rod writes...
Fairtrade purchases continue to make a difference. A difference to not only the producer and their family, but their community. The good news is that Fairtrade agreements provide hope to producers and allow opportunities for purchasers to show love. Fairtrade enhances the philosophy of justice, recognising the worth of goods and the individuals producing them. More companies are signing up to provide Fairtrade goods, most recently Gregg's (Food outlet). Fairtrade sales are being maintained in difficult market conditions.
Please pray for:
- Improved understanding of the philosophy of Fairtrade and ethical purchases.
- The ongoing work of the Fairtrade Foundation and their work with promoting Fairtrade.
- Tea workers – whose increased debt in squeezed markets has led many to suicide.
- Fairtrade workers in the Philippines, where social and political changes are impacting on many.
- The progress that has been made in expanding the range of Ethical and Fairtrade goods.
- The increased opportunities we have as individuals to buy goods that improve justice in trading.